Healthy Lifestyles Consultation: 29.10.2015
Healthy Lifestyles consultation: 29.10.2015
Spencer Hotel, Dublin
This consultation was one of two consultations with children and young people from all around Ireland on the theme ‘Healthy lifestyles: Have your say’. The purpose of the consultations is to get the views of children and young people about things that help a healthy lifestyle and the things that prevent a healthy lifestyle. The views of participants will contribute to a National Strategy which is being prepared by the Department of Health under the Healthy Ireland framework. Healthy Ireland is our national framework for action to improve the health and well-being of the people of Ireland. The consultations with children and young people are being conducted by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs in cooperation with the Department of Health.
On the day, the participants discussed in small groups all the things that help with a healthy lifestyle, and all the obstacles to a healthy lifestyle. These are their top ideas and suggestions as to the obstacles and the solutions towards a healthy lifestyle.
WHY IT IS NOT WORKING:
- Parents not being there – they don’t know their children as well as they should
- Self-harm and eating disorders – because of bullying
- At the bottom of a magazine page, say if it has been photo-shopped
- Acceptance of who you are
- P.E. should suit everyone’s needs, especially if not sporty